Monday, July 27, 2009

OUT of Denial

It's true. Despite my positive-sounding proclamations about this being a big adventure, I am here to confess that I have been in deep denial about the reality of our impending move. The business of preparations, the fun of summer travels , and adjustments to life in a 3rd floor (walk-up) apartment have (mercifully) enabled me to stave off the emotions of leaving. But alas, be it from the sheer milestone of "one week to go" or, from the dear stream of love that has flowed our way of late, I can no longer bury my feelings about leaving.

The get-togethers we've been having with our friends really ARE the last we'll enjoy for a long while. And, we really MUST pack up the last of our Knoxville possessions which are strewn throughout this apartment. And Erin really IS going to take us to the airport on Sunday morning. and drive away alone.....

So, if this was a note on paper, it would be tear-stained. And if you could see me now, there would be no point in my denying that I'm on a doozy of a "crying jag" (as my Mother used to call them). How can we survive without the comfort of friends who have been near through so much of our life? These are friends who have shared our joys and sorrows; friends who know us well (and love us anyway!); friends who make us feel like they've known us always; friends with common bonds of faith; friends who have shared life experiences like our own, raising children together, adopting babies from China; friends who have made us family in a state far from where we were born. How can we endure letting go of such ties? At the moment, it seems unbearable!

So, keep us in your prayers. Pray that we'll muster whatever it takes to keep moving toward Sunday. Pray that we'll find comfort in knowing that "time flies". (This summer sure did!) Pray that Erin will get a study-abroad placement in a southern hemisphere university so she can extend her planned Christmas visit to China well into the new year. Pray that E-mail, SKYPE and any other technology tools that will help us stay connected with friends, work well everywhere we go in China. And know that every prayer we raise includes a thank you for the blessings of friends and family whose love we will carry with us in our hearts.

1 comment:

  1. Mare--well at least I know now that I'm not a big wussy chicken compared to you!! You have been so upbeat since making the decision to move, and it was bound to hit you about now just what the magnitude of it is. So cry as much as you want. I feel like I'm sending the girls off to college again, only you're going way around the world. I'll be here using whatever means possible to keep in touch!!! Hang in there, pal, once you get there and get situated, things will fall into place, I know it. I will call you in the next day or two! LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete