Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair!

In the city of Shenzhen where we live in China there are many opportunities to experience, at a very cheap price, things that I categoried as luxuries back in Knoxville.  Things like manicures, pedicures, massages and spa treatments.  And since I have always been practical ('to a fault', some of my girlfriends would say), I confess that at age fifty, I have never splurged on a single one of these treats for myself.  But here, in Asia, these luxuries can be had for a LOT less .  A foot massage - about $6.00.  A combination manicure and pedicure, with fancy features like palm trees on each nail  - about $15.  A lengthy full body massage with essential oils? - under $50 at a very nice spa.  A Hair Wash and Style  - under $6.  So, many of my new acquaintances here  kept saying, "You need to try something!" 

I kept resisting.  It IS a fault to be so practical, but I don't think it is all MY fault.  I was raised to never waste or be frivolous.  I spent a lot of my formative years in the company of people who had lived through the Great Depression.  The most influential was my Grandma, Wilma Bell Timm .  And if she were here, she would scoff (really, she could make a "scoffing" sound  when she thought something was just plain foolish or wrong) and say with pride that SHE never needed any of those things and there is no reason to waste money on "such foolishness!"   And when Grandma Timm scoffed about a subject, we all knew not to question any further!  But, the lure of a bargain and the rave reviews of my new friends finally wore me down.

So.....  last weekend Ellysa wanted to get her hair cut.  And since I needed to accompany her to the salon, I thought, 'go for it.'  We arrived a little before 3:30 - no appointments.  People rarely make them as the language barrier can be a challenge.  My color guy,  Leo, was not available to do Elly's hair but within a minute or two we conveyed that any available stylist could handle Elly's cut and I wanted Nancy, who had been recommended by a friend and was available, to do a hair wash.

Elly's haircut service also included a "hair wash" so we were ushered to the back of the salon.  There, they have about 16-20 massage tables that you lay on to get your wash.  Each table has a little head rest that extends over a sink so you can stretch out.  Elly laid on one with a "potluck" washer while I followed "Nancy" a few tables away and laid down.  The wash lasted at least 40 minutes and included two LENGTHY, MASSAGE-Y shampoos, a conditioner treatment with more head massaging,  a neck and shoulder massage, an arm massage with finger "pops", a flip over on your stomach backrub session, AND a thorough ear cleaning with q-tips!. 

I should mention that there are mirrors on the ceiling in the washing area, so you get a change to eavesdrop on the services that others are getting.  Unfortunately, a man near me opted for a strange add-on ear-cleaning.  As I shot covert glances his way, I watched as his "washer" had him roll onto his side and then placed a straw-like tube in his ear.  She put something from a tube on one end of the straw and then, AND THEN.... BROUGHT OUT A LIGHTER AND LIT THE TUBE!  I have no clue what this was all about - earwax softening? evil spirits exorcism? ???  I only know I was rehearsing how to say "Bu Yao", meaning "NO WANT!" in case Nancy had pulled out tubes and a lighter.  But, to my relief, I only got the q-tips.  This was scary enough, since, as Elly said later, "They are a lot smaller than your elbow!" :) 

After the washing and massaging, we went to the styling area where Elly had a cut and sytle and I had a style session with a 'senior associate'.  Said associate seperated my hair into about 35 sections and slowly, meticulously styled each section.  After this, he sprayed and tucked and played with the collective whole until I had what I will call "party hair!".   Elly and I finished at about the same time, a little past 4:45.  We looked good, felt good.

And what did this hour and 15 minutes of hands-on service cost for the two of us, you ask?  Elly's cost about $9.  Mine - only $4.75!  (We did get a discount because I bought a pre-paid services card for about $200 back when Leo did not ruin my hair the first time.  This is a unique marketing approach used at this salon wherein you pre-buy an amount of services but then get 30% off  every time you use the card.) Anyway, despite Grandma Timm's ever-present and often right voice whispering the contrary, I didn't think it was all THAT foolish. ( I may even have to try it again....) 

      

4 comments:

  1. Oh how I miss the hair washes!! The last time that I got one, my washer asked me if I wanted the q-tip thing and I said no...because Elly is right those are much smaller than my elbow :) So it's okay to "Bu Yao" that one too. Grandma Timm never had to live in China, so I think you're in a different category now perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandma Timm would scoff at that statement too, but thanks for the sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'm jealous! I want that treatment! That really makes us look bad over here in the US. But really....how do they make a living and not work like slaves?! The ear thing w/the tube.....I believe it's called "Ear Candle-ing". It is actually supposed to feel good. I believe it helps w/ear aches,head colds and such. The whole experience sounds wonderful to me. I'm afraid I would be indulging weekly!!! Enjoy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to read about your adventures again, Mare! I know what you mean about "restarting"--I have been slacking myself, and after 2 weeks off due to the Ireland trip and recovery (I'm exhausted!) I have to organize my thoughts and start again. Maybe tomorow! :)

    ReplyDelete